Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A peek at my mind would help to clear your own

So I was talking to my family about the song Poison and Wine by the Civil Wars tonight
They couldn't seem to grasp how it could be seen from the point of view of a sibling relationship and so I felt that by breaking it down line by line with my interpretation of each line in relation to my relationship with my younger brother. Here goes

You only know what I want you to
(siblings esp. brothers don't like everyone knowing everything about them because it is such a vulnerable thing having someone know all the small details about your life.)
I know everything you don't want me to
(With my younger brother, we are practically like twins and though we try so hard to hide things from each other there is always some way that the other will know exactly what is going on)
Your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine
(You always know exactly what to say in order to hurt one another but you also know the perfect words when they need to be said to help the other get through something)
You think your dreams are the same as mine
(You believe you know each other so well, but you still strive for independence apart from the other and though you like that you have someone to share everything in, you hate that you can't have a simple thought without them somehow sharing in it. Plus as an older sister I always have to be right)
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
Oh I don't love you but I always will
I always will
(There are times when you hate your siblings but you could never stop loving them no matter what they did, I often think this during a fight)

I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
(There is a deep vulnerability between siblings that can't be spoken only shown and it's during the most difficult times that siblings can understand each other the best.)
The less I give the more I get back
(Often in the heat of the moment silence can cause a greater rage. Words don't often have to be spoken for things to be understood and coming from the side that gives the most it can be easy to fly off the handle when you feel like they aren't caring)
Oh your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
There is nothing like the protective hug of a brother, yet they have the power to win any fight if it comes to hands-on)
I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you
(You are stuck with your siblings but really who would it be better to go through you whole life with?)

Oh I don't love you but I always will [x7]
I always will [x5]
Never stop loving your siblings through thick and thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment